Position Description: Computational Biologist
Exciting opportunity for capable biologist with experience in bioinformatics to join the team at Adaptive PhageTherapeutics (APT). The role includes preparing samples for DNA sequencing, managing complex biological data sets, analyzing DNA sequences, and producing reports for senior management. The successful candidate will mainly be responsible for DNA extraction and purification from microbiological organisms but will also assist with DNA library preparation for NGS projects using Oxford Nanopore’s long-read sequencing platform.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and execute laboratory techniques which may include but are not limited to the following: cell culture, DNA extraction and purification, NGS DNA sequencing, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and other common microbiological and molecular biology techniques.
- Perform computational analysis of various genomic data sets using common bioinformatics tools and pipelines. Use tools including but not limited to: SPAdes, CLC Genomics Workbench, RAST, Glimmer, Genemark, PGAP
- Coordinate project tasks as a member of the data management team.
- Troubleshoot and adjust scientific methodology to correct problems or deficiencies as needed.
- Maintain careful laboratory records including written lab notebooks and well-organized digital data files.
- Manage laboratory supply inventory and report deficiencies to supervisor as needed.
- Adhere to all SOPs and project schedules set by supervisor(s).
- Draft and update SOPs when necessary.
- Provide daily project updates to supervisor(s).
- Coordinate efforts with data analysis teams as well as management ensuring the business needs are met.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology, Life Sciences, or a related discipline.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of experience in genomics and microbiology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of maintaining accurate and detailed records.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper laboratory disposal methods and safety procedures.
- Ability to adhere to the company Quality Management System (QMS) to maintain highly controlled manufacturing and quality processes.
- Ability to adhere to current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), Good Documentation Practices (GDP), Biological Safety Level-2 (BSL-2), and aseptic technique in all Manufacturing/Laboratory processes.
- Must maintain a clean working environment including participation in a regular laboratory cleaning schedule per established cleaning Standard Operating Procedures.
- Careful, detail-oriented working style.
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.
- Programming experience a plus
This full-time position reports to the Director, Product Development.
Compensation: Salary is industry-standard and commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Job ID: 21.009